- Drawstring waist tshirt romper
- Colorblocked tshirt romper
- Ruffle bum tshirt romper
- Gathered sleeves and gathered hem tshirt romper
- 2T Tshirt Romper
- A women’s or men’s crew neck tshirt – I’ve used both with success. Women’s tees usually have spandex and are a little more stretchy, but men’s tshirts work great too.
- Sewing supplies
- Ballpoint sewing machine needle*
- buttons or snaps – I like these KAM Snaps
- Tips for sewing knit fabric
- FREE PATTERN in size 6-9 mos – get it at the end of the post!
4. Cut out one gusset. Make sure the stretch is going the right way.
5. Lay the sleeves on top of each other. Line up the bottom of the sleeve pattern with the hem of the sleeves. Cut out two sleeves.
6. Cut out three facings. I layered my layers together so I only had to cut it out once.
Here are the pieces you need: one front, one back, two sleeves, one gusset, and three facings.
3. With right sides together line up the sleeves and edges of the romper with 1/4″ seam allowance. Zigzag or serge the edges.
7. With right sides together line up the gusset with the back inseam curve. The gusset will fit right into the extra seam allowance on the back. The curve of the gusset is opposite to the curve of the inseam so it’s a little tricky to sew. Sew with a zigzag at 1/4″ seam allowance.
8. Take the last two facings. With right sides together sew around the outer curve with a zigzag stitch with a 1/4″ seam allowance.
9. Turn right side out.
10. With right sides together line up the inside curve of the facing with the back inseam going around the gusset. Sew with a zigzag stitch at 1/4″ seam allowance.
11. Serge or zigzag the edges.
12. Optional: Sew the seam allowance of the facing up towards the body of the romper with a straight stitch.
13. Fold up the legs 1/2″ (including the front and back facings) and sew with a zigzag.
14. Add snaps or buttons to the faced inseams.
That’s it! And adorable romper from your tshirt!
Get the free sewing pattern!
Once you sign up you need to confirm your email and that you want to be on my list. Once you confirm you’ll be emailed the password to my subscriber library full of free patterns and free downloads!
If you make something using this tutorial, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!